Green Cooked Salsa
3 to 5 tomatillos, remove husks, wash, and roast until soft and dull green
¼ white onion, chopped into 1/8 inch cubes
4 Serrano chiles, roasted and pealed
2 whole black pepper corns
1 garlic clove roasted
¼ cup of cilantro coarsely chopped
½ avocado cut into ¼ inch squares (optional)
salt to taste
1. In the “molcajete” add the salt, pepper corns, garlic and crush.
2. Then add one Serrano chile and crush one-by-one. Add the tomatillo and crush again one-by-one.
3. Mix in the onion and cilantro. Add water as necessary since the cilantro and onion will thicken the salsa too much. Finally, add in the avocado cubes.
4. You may also make this salsa in the blender for a quicker result. Place tomatillo, chile, garlic, black pepper corns and ¼ cup of water in the blender and blend until smooth.
5. Place the mixture in a serving bowl mix salt to taste and then mix in the chopped onion cilantro and avocado. Add more water if needed.
Compliments of Chef Anna Garcia at La Villa Bonita